Zimbabwe makes it illegal for schools to expel pregnant girls

Zimbabwe has made it illegal for schools to expel pupils who get pregnant, a measure aimed at tackling gender inequality in the classroom and discouraging many girls from dropping out of school.


According to Zimbabwean media, a legal amendment was announced last week and it seeks to reinforce a 1999 guideline that was patchily implemented. 

The decision was reportedly made over fears of a rise in sexual abuse and unwanted pregnancies as schools have been closed since the Coronavirus pandemic struck.

Many parents of pregnant girls, or the girls themselves, decide to quit schooling due to the pregnancy, and schools do not always do enough to encourage them to stay, officials say.


“I’m expecting every parent and guardian and everyone else to understand that every child must be assisted by all of us to go to school,” Cain Mathema, the education minister in charge of schools, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation this week


“Every child whether boy or girl… has a right to go to school in Zimbabwe,” he said.

In 2018, 12.5% of the country’s roughly 57,500 school dropouts stopped attending classes due to pregnancy or marriage reasons – almost all of them girls, according to Education Ministry statistics.


Sibusisiwe Ndlovu, the communications specialist at Plan International Zimbabwe welcomed the new legislation as a step in the right direction.


 “This amendment is crucial in fulfilling the access to education right for all children – especially girls,” Ndlovu said.

19-year-old boy allegedly shot by policeman for impregnating a 17-year-old girl in Rivers state (graphic photo)

A 19-year-old boy identified as Ledisi Kote risks losing one of his legs after allegedly being shot by a policeman for impregnating a 17-year-old girl in K. Dere community in Gokana local government area of Rivers State. 

Facebook user Tuka Loanyie said the incident occurred on Friday August 21, and further revealed that the “trigger-happy” policeman is attached to Kpor police division. 

It was also learnt that the policemen who allegedly shot the boy in the leg is yet to take full responsibility. Loanyie disclosed that the boy will have to undergo three different surgeries or risk going through an amputation. 

He wrote; 

his 19years old boy by name Ledisi Kote was shot by a trigger happy police man from Kpor Division in Gokana LGA of Rivers state, simply because he impregnated a girl.

According to the sick father, he was in his compound in K. Dere community in Gokana local government area of Rivers state on Friday morning around 7AM, when a Sienna drove into his compound with about four armed police men. They went straight to his son’s room door and was banging and cocking guns. He approached them to inquire from them what his son did wrong that they were looking for him, but non of them answered him. It was one of them who angrily told him that his son impregnated a girl. I mean, that’s the only crime!!

The next thing he heard from the backyard of his house is a gunshot. One of the officers shot his son on the leg simply because he impregnated a girl. They went away with him while he was bleeding profusely and hid him in a private hospital.

I and Enefaa Georgewill took the father to the Police headquarters on Moscow road in Port Harcourt and officially laid down a complaints about what their officers did to an innocent boy. His only offense was because he impregnated a girl. We made arrangements and transferred him from the village to a better government owned hospital in Port Harcourt.

There are good police officers but the bad eggs amongst them are the ones giving the force a bad image.

I am making this post because up til now, the officer that did this is yet to take full responsibility of the medications. The doctor said he will have to undergo three different surgeries or else his leg might be amputated. We want justice for this boy. It could be me or you tomorrow.

19-year-old boy allegedly shot by policeman for impregnating a 17-year-old girl in Rivers state (graphic photo)
19-year-old boy allegedly shot by policeman for impregnating a 17-year-old girl in Rivers state (graphic photo)
19-year-old boy allegedly shot by policeman for impregnating a 17-year-old girl in Rivers state (graphic photo)
19-year-old boy allegedly shot by policeman for impregnating a 17-year-old girl in Rivers state (graphic photo)

Update: FFK ‘withdraws’ the word ”stupid” which he used while lashing out at a journalist in Calabar

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has expressed regret for using the word ”Stupid” on a journalist with Daily Trust during a press conference in Calabar, Cross River state on August 20.

The reporter, Eyo Charles, had asked the former Minister who was on a tour of different states in Southern Nigeria if he was being bankrolled by anyone. FFK felt insulted by his question and lashed out at him, calling him ”Stupid”.

The former Minister took to his Twitter handle this morning to express regret for using the word ”stupid” and has now withdrawn it. He also debunked claims he sent some persons to attack the journalist. His tweet reads

”I met with my advisors & I wish to say the following. I hereby withdraw the word “stupid” which I used in my encounter with a journalist in Calabar. I have many friends in the media who I offended by losing my cool & using such words. I hereby express my regrets for doing so.

I do however wish to state categorically that no threat of physical harm was ever made to the journalist in question and neither did I send anyone to threaten him. Anyone that says otherwise is lying and I challenge them to bring the proof.

.I would never seek to physically harm a journalist. For the last 30 years I have defended & worked with journalists & fought for the right of freedom of exiression. I am also very close to many in that profession.

I would be the last to seek to disparage those that are honorable and noble within its ranks. I hope that this will assuage the pain and anger of anyone that was hurt or offended by this ugly episode. I have now put this matter behind me and moved on. Now my tour of the South continues. Moving to another state today!”

Update: FFK
Update: FFK
Update: FFK

Bella Thorne breaks OnlyFans record by earning $1 million in 24 hours

Former Disney star, Bella Thorne has broken OnlyFans record by becoming the first user to earn $1 million in the first 24 hours of creating an account. 

OnlyFans is known for its X-rated content posted by mostly adult performers and influencers, and Bella charged users $20 a month for access to her feed. Thorne has been quite active on her profile, responding to every DM and “getting to know her fans better and on a personal level.”

The actress who is using the platform to share personal content and never-before-seen photos and videos, noted that she’s using OnlyFans for a combination of reasons, including to conduct research for an upcoming film she’s working on with Sean Baker, the director behind critically acclaimed indie films like The Florida Project and Tangerine.

She said; 

“It’s a feature we are researching as I’m living it currently.  What are the ins and outs? What does a platform like this do to its users? What’s the connective material between your life and your life inside the world of OnlyFans? … How can it change your life for the worse and the better? How far are you willing to go, and how far do you WANT to go? You can be me, or this talented girl from Montana, and OnlyFans could change your life — if you want it to, of course.”

The actress is still figuring out what she wants to share with OnlyFans users. So far, her page does feature some suggestive imagery which includes numerous bikini photos, her eating a hot dog and nothing explicitly graphic. In a poll however, she did ask her fans what type of content they’d like from her; tongue teasing, lingerie, booty, showering and twerking were among the answers.

Asides making $1 million in the first 24 hours of creating her account, Bella Thorne told LA Times that she has already made $2 million in less than a week from her account. Creators on OnlyFans receive 80 percent of their subscription revenue and tips from fans.

Manchester United captain, Harry Maguire found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and repeated attempts of bribery in Greece

Manchester United captain, Harry Maguire has been convicted of all charges following a brawl at the Greek holiday island of Mykonos.

The England international was found guilty of assaulting police, verbal abuse, and attempted bribery on Tuesday, August 25, after the alleged fight last Friday. He was handed a 21 month and ten day sentence suspended for three years as it was his first offence.

Maguire’s brother, Joe who plays for non-league team Ilkeston Town, was also found guilty of assault, attacking police and attempted bribery while a third man, 29-year-old Christopher Sharman, was guilty of two assault charges and another of verbal abuse. The pair were given suspended sentences of 13 months after being found guilty.

The court heard today how Maguire told Greek police ‘don’t you know who I am? I’m the captain of Man Utd’, before attempting to bribe officers after his bar brawl in Mykonos last week.

The 27-year-old flew back to the UK on Sunday ahead of his trial and was represented in court by his lawyers with his father Alan in attendance.

The lawyers claimed in court that the footballer’s sister Daisy was injected with a date rape drug by two Albanian men outside the bar the defendants were at.

Manchester United captain, Harry Maguire found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and repeated attempts of bribery in Greece

Daisy collapsed, triggering a brawl, and police rushed to the scene, with the Albanians fleeing, the court was told.

The court heard that Maguire and his group asked to be taken to hospital after the brawl, but were stopped by undercover police.

After more violent clashes, the three accused were driven to a police station, where officers kicked Maguire on the leg and told him: ‘Your career is over’.

However, officer Mickolos Kolios claimed while giving evidence that Maguire began pushing officers and getting verbally abusive.

He claimed the footballer and his brother Joe tried to bribe officers, with Harry saying: ‘Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United. I am very rich. I can give you money. I can pay you, please let us go.’

The court also heard that Maguire said ‘f*** the police both inside and outside the station.

Maguire’s friend Ashden Morley told the court that the Manchester United captain feared that he was being kidnapped or robbed when they were stopped by undercover police officers.

Mr. Morley, a childhood friend of Harry and Joe, said that the incident with the police started as the group returned to their minibus following a night out.

He said that Harry’s sister Daisy had been approached by ‘two Albanian looking men’ as some of the group went to buy burgers and kebabs at around midnight.

He added: ‘Daisy was sat down about three metres away from us. She was approached by two Albanian looking gentlemen who asked her where she was from and she replied ‘Sheffield.’

‘They continued to stick around Daisy. Fern (Harry’s fiancé) then noticed that her eyes were rolling into the back of her head. So, she rushed across to Daisy. She then began fitting.

‘All the girls started screaming, other people were coming down and there was a real commotion.’

When asked by the Greek public prosecutor how Mr Morley knew the men were Albanian, he replied: ‘Because they looked it and had an Albanian nature.’

The court heard that Maguire and his friends rushed off in a minibus to take her to hospital. It was then they realised they were being followed by two cars behind them before the vehicle pulled up in a courtyard.

It was heard that the group of men in these cars were undercover police officers.

Mr. Morley added: ‘The van we were in stopped and the door was pulled open by a man. We thought we were either being robbed or kidnapped. Everybody was very scared.’

He revealed that Harry and his friend Chris managed to flee the van.

Mr. Morely added: ‘Harry later told me that he was trying to ring his agent to tell him that he needed help.

‘I looked out of the van and saw Harry and Chris kneeling on the ground with their hands up in the air and they were being kicked and stamped on.

‘We were all in the mini-bus with the doors open, all the girls were in hysterics, crying their eyes out.’

Maguire has confirmed he would be appealing his conviction after branding himself and his family “the victims in a statement. 

He said: “Following the hearing, I have instructed my legal team with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing.

“I remain strong + confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family + friends are the victims.” #MUFC”.

The verdict comes a few hours after England manager Gareth Southgate, named the defender in his next international squad.

“The more you try to practice feminism as a woman, the more harm you bring upon yourself” Woman warns

A woman took to Facebook to warn other women about feminism. 

Tabugo Violet Amaka said “feminism has done more harm than good to our Nigerian women, most especially to our single ladies.”

She warned that women who try to practice feminism  bring “harm” upon themselves.

She added that culture needs to be respected and that there are certain decisions and actions that women should not be allowed to make or take, no matter how rich or educated they are. 

She further stated that “till Jesus comes, gender equality will never be adopted here in Nigeria.”

Read her post below.

"The more you try to practice feminism as a woman, the more harm you bring upon yourself" Woman warns

FG appoints Channels TV boss, John Momoh, as chairman of UNILAG governing council

The Federal government has appointed Channels TV boss, John Momoh, as the acting chairman of the UNILAG Governing Council.

The appointment was contained in a letter dated August 21, 2020 and signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Education, Sonny Echono. The letter titled, ‘Emergency Meeting of the Governing Council of University of Lagos’ with reference number FME/PS/606/C.1/III/129, asked Momoh to convene an emergency council meeting with a view to approving the nomination of the Acting Vice-Chancellor for the university.

The letter in part reads

“I am directed to request you to convene an emergency meeting of the governing council to consider and, if found suitable, approve the Senate nomination of the Acting Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos in line with the enabling Act.

“You are to preside at the meeting in the absence of the substantive pro-chancellor/chairman of council who has had to recuse himself in line with the visitor’s directives.

“You are to also submit a report on the decision of the council to the visitor through the honourable minister of education immediately thereafter.”

Momoh is the President of the UNILAG Alumni Association.

The University was thrown into crisis earlier this month after the Wale Babalakin-led governing council of the institution sacked the embattled Vice-Chancellor of the school, Professor Toyin Ogundipe. The Federal government over the weekend, asked Babalakin and Ogundipe to step aside immediately. Read here.

On Monday, August 24, the University’s senate elected Professor Folasade Ogunsola, as its acting Vice-Chancellor.

”Do you know who you are talking to?” FFK blasts journalist at a press conference for asking him a “stupid” question

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, recently took a tour of some South-South and southeast states and as part of his activities, had media briefings with some of the journalists in the state.


However, at the press conference in Calabar, Cross Rivers state, a journalist asked him if he was being ”bankrolled by any politician or political group.”


The former Minister felt highly insulted by the question and spared no thought as he lashed out at the journalist in the presence of everyone at the press briefing.

”What type of stupid question is that? What type of stupid question is that? Bankrolling who? Do you know who you are talking to? Bankrolling who? I will not take any questions from this man. 

What type of insulting question is that? Which bankroll? to do what? Who can give me money for anything? who do you think you are talking to? Bankroll what? Go and report yourself to your publisher.  Bankroll what? Please don’t insult me here. 

I don’t want to take any questions from this man. I could see from your face before you got here how stupid you are. Don’t ever talk to me like that. Bankroll who? You have a small mind.  Very small mind. Don’t judge me by your own standards.” he charged at the journalist

One child killed and another injured by stray bullets after illegal residents clash with police in South Africa

Two children were hit by a stray bullet in Cape Town, South Africa as illegal residents clashed with policemen.

The incident which happened on Monday August 24, according to reports by AFP, led to one child’s death while another one was injured as illegal residents fired at police seeking to prevent them from moving into government housing units.

Recently, South African Police have been dismantling several unlawful property grabs by illegal residents. 

The “land invasions” as it is called in South Africa is fuelled by rampant financiak inequality and a lack of low-cost housing in urban areas.

But illegal owners of properties in South Africa have been violent recently as they set vehicles on fire and destroy community facilities while clashing with law enforcement officials.

On Monday, the clashes escalated as shots fired at police killed an eight-year-old boy and wounded a 12-year-old girl, Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato said in a statement.

“Over the last month we have seen violent and coordinated land invasions in over 30 different parts of the metro,” Plato said, adding that almost 50 officers had been injured in clashes.

Cape Town security official Richard Bosman said the shots had come “from a crowd of people”, after which a gunman was identified but fled the scene.

“The officers did not return fire… but sought cover instead,” he added.